Journal of Online Learning Research (JOLR)
Seeks New Editor(s)
Applications Due: November 1, 2020
The Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education (SITE) Journal Search Committee invites nominations and applications for a qualified individual(s) to serve as Editor of the Journal of Online Learning Research. SITE is seeking a team of co-editors to serve in this capacity.
JOLR was established in 2014 and is published by the Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). The committee seeks a broad-based experienced scholar(s) to serve as Editor(s) while striving to maintain JOLR’s rigor in publishing cutting-edge, high-quality research.
JOLR is a peer-reviewed publication devoted to the theoretical, empirical, and pragmatic understanding of technologies and their impact on pedagogy and policy in primary and secondary (K-12) online and blended environments.
The current acceptance rate for JOLR is approximately 25%. The journal is open source and free, online access to all issues of JOLR is available via LearnTechLib – The Learning & Technology Library.
The new editor(s) will begin on April 1, 2021, and the initial term is three years.
The new editor(s) will have the opportunity to shadow the outgoing editor prior to the April transition. Given the workload and limited resources, a co-editor is strongly encouraged. Co-editors should individually submit materials but indicate that they plan to work together. The editor(s) is responsible for producing four issues of JOLR each year.
The responsibilities of the editor(s) include:
- Overseeing and managing a rigorous review process, making final decisions on acceptance and rejection of articles
- Copy-editing all articles prior to publication (in-house copy-editor is not provided)
- Demonstrating a strong knowledge of the field (K-12 online/blended learning)
- Providing guidance to authors for preparing and submitting manuscripts
- Writing editorials to accompany selected volumes
- Meeting publication deadlines
- Leading and attending meetings as needed
- Recruiting Editorial Review Board members and reviewers
- Promoting the journal and recruiting manuscripts as needed
- Attending the annual SITE conference and the annual National Technology Leadership Summit (NLTS)
- Participating in SITE Executive Board meetings (electronically or in-person)
- Collaborating with other SITE and/or AACE Editors as appropriate (e.g. Contemporary Issues in Technology in Education (CITE), Journal of Technology and Teacher Education (JTATE), etc.)
Desired qualifications for this position include:
- Demonstrated successful editorial experience including strong copy-editing skills
- Ability to oversee and manage rigorous review process and meet deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively including history of working with SITE/NTLS communities
- Track record of substantial publications in quality, peer-reviewed journals
- Experience as a reviewer for journals and conferences
- National reputation or growing national reputation in the field
Review of applications will begin November 1, 2020, and continue until the position is filled.
Applications are to be submitted through the SITE Submission System. Please review the following requirements and instructions to be included for each individual if applying as an editorial team:
- Submit Here https://conf.aace.org/site/2021/submission/ and select “Submit Presentation Proposal”
- Under Submission Category dropdown, select “JOLR Editor Application”.
- Under Topic, select “JOLR Editor Application Only”
- For the Abstract, enter the first 1-2 paragraphs of your application.
- Be sure to submit the PDF form of your full application according to the requirements below:
- Cover letter that includes a statement outlining the applicant’s qualifications, reasons for seeking the position, and overall vision as editor of JOLR
- Current curriculum vitae
- Names and contact information, including rank, affiliation, email address, and phone number, for three references who can speak to your qualifications as a potential journal editor.
SITE and AACE will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. Appointment decisions will be on the basis of qualifications, merit, and need.
Please forward this position announcement to any potential candidates you recommend.